There are hundreds of books and thousands of articles written on customer service culture and customer centricity. Leaders spend tens and thousands of hours debating what customer centricity means in contact centers and how to drive a culture of customer centricity in an organization’s customer service department . I think it’s pretty simple and straight forward and not as complicated as it actually sounds.
So a couple things to get started…
Very simple, actually.
Take a day off your normal schedule this coming week and spend it with your customer service teams in attending some random meetings, shadowing, having general conversations with your front line customer service folks (customer service agents, team leads etc.). At the end of the day, you can categorize everything you have heard / observed through the day across the two themes mentioned below.
Theme A – As hard as it is for you to accept, your organziationDOES NOT have a customer centric culture. Let’s face it! You just have a customer service factory that is focused on churning the incoming call/email/chat volumes. Sad but true!
Theme B – Spot on, you have built something really special here. Your customer service organziation is built on the foundation of helping your customers and bundled with customer centricity. Protect it!
I won’t be surprised, if 90% of the organizations fall under Theme A, unfortunate but high possibility. The remaining 10% under theme B don’t need any introductions and you probably know the names of those organizations memorized as benchmark for customer service.
But at the same time, building a customer centric culture in your customer service organziation is not rocket science. It’s about making a conscious effort to integrate the thought of helping customers and taking pride in it.
Below are 3 high level areas that can set a solid foundation to steering the entire customer service org to be laser focused on helping customers and in establishing a culture of customer centricity in your contact centers.
Being a six sigma blackbelt for more than a decade, I recognize the need to have metrics and drive them on a day to day basis in organizations. But sometimes, in a customer service environment the teams can be super focused on the metrics that deviates from the actual purpose and vision of the customer service organziation. It’s the responsibility of the leadership to enable forums and structure that drives customer centricity and helping customers as the culture of the customer service teams rather than meeting metrics.
If you are a customer service leader and feel that your organization does not have a customer centric culture, look in the mirror. You will know where the problem is and where to start.